Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Beach Blazer



I'm totally the last sewist to get on board the By Hand London train, and I have no idea why I waited so long!

I wasn't sure about the Victoria Blazer until I started seeing all the gorgeous versions popping up on my blogroll.  Rachel, Roisin, Clare, Lizzy and Rehanon's in particular.

And then  Rachel posted a pic of this jacket:


Source:  ASOS

Isn't it gorgeous?  And a dead ringer for Victoria.

I dragged the lovely Alison all around Goldhawk Road looking for the perfect nautical print cotton.  But it was not to be - none to be found anywhere (and if you've been there, I know it sounds impossible for there to be a type of fabric they don't sell, but it's true!).  However, I didn't want to give up completely on my nautical dream, so I nabbed a lovely navy batik cotton with some red cotton for lining.


You can just about see the lining here - the other shot made me look like a flasher!

It's a great pattern that went together so smoothly and quickly -I think this took about 3 evenings to put together including handstitching the hem. The trickiest bit is probably the famous neck dart but just follow the clear instructions and all will be well! The recent sewalong had more pictures of the process if you are unsure.

I didn't need to make a muslin as i had the benefit of trying on Clare of Sew Dixie Lou's fab version so i knew a straight UK size 12 would fit. I decided to lengthen the sleeves slightly as they hit right on the elbow and so were a bit tight when I bent my arm. I added about 2" and also sewed with a smaller seam allowance for a bit more ease.

I called it the Beach Victoria partly because of the location for the pictures (Lyme Regis on the border of Dorset and Devon if you are imterested), but also because the batik pattern makes me think of shells.

Pop that collar!

I've worn it loads already and i love how it makes jeans and a tee look smart and a pencil skirt such cooler.

Now I've seen Nicole's amazing tuxedo version I may have to make another (how cool is this woman?)!

And not forgetting a back shot for Nessa:

Please excuse the hair - it was seriously windy!

 And finally a moody staring-into-the-middle-distance shot:

The British seaside with sun?  What are the chances?
 

24 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Jo, this is awesome. Not only is the Beach Victoria a clear winner in my book, but also it has a gorgeous backdrop of beach huts and sea! You look wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i am attempting to allieviate the pain of taking blog pics (love sewing, love blogging, hate pics) by doing them as part of normal family days out!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Jo, this is so pretty! Love your pop of colour lining. It looks like you are getting much wear out of this blazer. And what terrific pics!! Don't you love it when the sun shines AND you are at the beach?!

    I also wanted to let you know that the Simplicity pattern arrived, thanks so much for sending it! I love the dress and have been looking up pics of folks who've already made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks catja! i seem to wear it most days - not looking forward to the cold weather when i won't be able to! can't wait to see your simplicity. i have mine all planned out!

      Delete
  3. Love it, one of my favourite Victoria's yet and the red lining is perfect. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ta Da! It is great! Such a good length - especially the back :-) You are so right about the "dressing up the jeans" look - you look very sophisty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - i know you love a back view! i wasn't sure about it as i thought it might be a bit trendy for me, but it works very well!

      Delete
  5. Very Nice Jo! I love nautical looks... navy and white or nave and red just look so sharp! Beautiful pics... the beach was lovely that day... as is your Victoria! ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks laurie - you may have noticed a general nautical trend in my summer makes! i always seem to gravitate towards those colours in summer. good thing it that it means it goes with everything!

      Delete
  6. I love the red lining!

    Great idea to take photos of your blazer on the beach ;-) Looks like you had much better weather than I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your help in choosing the fabric - still can't believe in the whole of goldhawk road they had no nautical fabric! but the red lining is my favourite bit!

      Delete
  7. I love this! I love the beach, anchors, anything boat related, and jackets. It's everything I love all rolled into one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely jacket, I've only just joined the By Hand London train too! Such beautiful patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so sorry for the delay in replying! stupid blogger only just let me know of your comments! thanks very much - hope you enjoy your patterns too!

      Delete
  9. I love it! The red lining is gorgeous. And I know what you mean about it being an addictive pattern, I want to make so many more versions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous! I just love that red lining too and the batik fabric looks gorgeous. What a lovely location for your photos too! I've got a Victoria all cut out and ready to sew - just need to find all my sewing machine bits in the clutter after our house move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much! i do love a beach hut and it makes a change from our back garden. you are brave trying to sew just after a house move. i think when we moved it took me weeks just to unpack!

      Delete
  11. Great fabric choices Jo! It's a beaut! I love seeing everyone's Victoria's because each person's fabric choices and styling make it look like a completely different garment and so specifically suited to them. Yours is just perfect for you! I can't wait to make mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. thanks! i was inspired by your lovely inspiration jacket!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!