About that Burda top I mentioned previously... As I was beginning to suspect after having battled with the horrible pattern sheet, lack of seam allowances and dodgy instructions, the top ended up being a bit meh. As I was worried about how hard it would be to sew with knit fabric, I ended up with one that was the right weight (and I actually had no problems sewing it) but it was a very pale lilac and I don't think that helped! It's also the kind of top where I know the facing will always pop out around the neck. By the end of it I didn't actually bother to slipstitch the hem - i just machined it.
Although I'm not that happy with the end result I think I learnt a lot with this one. I discovered that knits aren't as scary as I thought! I also don't think I'll bother to settle for fabric I don't love as clearly I won't love the finished garment. The pleated sleeves were pretty complicated, especially with the strange Burda instructions but I managed to figure it out - and also learnt the importance of pinning it all up and checking to make sure it looks right before stitching. The seam ripper was a good friend of mine by the end of this one! I was surprised by how big it ended up - I must have taken it down by about 3 or 4 inches all round and it's still pretty big! I think I was between sizes and went for the larger one but I think after this experience (and reading this blog post from Gertie about pattern ease and sizing) I'll probably go for a smaller size and try to tissue fit until I get more experienced.
I wasn't actually going to post a pic but since I can't find a pic of the pattern online this is all a bit cryptic without one! So here you go:
An attempt to show the fancy pleated sleeves:
Terrible pics, but the top really doesn't warrant proper photos!
I've got a few projects to blog about - quite a few for N and a full skirt for me which is part of my Summer Palette plans. So hopefully more to come this week (especially if the weather behaves and I can get N to pose in her clothes!).
Next sewing project is another Burda one (I must be mad!) but much simpler this time. A plain knit tshirt. Hopefully it will come out slightly better!