Monday 22 September 2014

Minerva Blogger Network - the Staple Skirt


I've been thinking a lot about what items I need to make for winter to fill some wardrobe gaps and I realised I really needed a dark denim skirt.

 I ordered this dark denim from Minerva with the intention of making (another) Kelly skirt, but I spotted the Blue Ginger Doll Peggy skirt pattern in my stash (which I won from the lovely Roobeedoo in a giveaway). The denim is quite weighty so it definitely good for something that needs a bit of structure.

 I decided to make view A with a straight waistband and tabs, as I had ordered some silver jeans buttons as part of my kit.

I must admit this was not the most straightforward project I have ever made. The pattern was pretty hard to trace as the lines for each size were the same (although this has apparently been changed due to feedback so if you like the pattern, don’t let that stop you ordering it!). The fitting was very easy – it’s an a-line skirt, so using my waist measurement worked perfectly. I shaved a tiny amount out of the hips once it was completed but that was all. It’s really long – 27” from waist to hem, so I didn't even need to lengthen it!

 The rest of the problems I had were machine related. I struggled to get my topstitching looking neat. I used topstitching thread in a pale grey (also included in the kit) with a topstitching needle, and played with the tension a lot on the advice of the ever helpful twitter and instagrammers. The inside doesn’t look pretty but I decided to call it good and move on – from the outside it looks fine.

'Scuse creases - I had just got out of the car after a morning of rushing around!

 For the lapped zip, I used a silver metal zip from John Lewis as I didn't have one in my stash and wanted to match with the buttons and topstitching.

 My machine did not want to play ball when it came to making buttonholes. It took many many tries to produce the 5 I needed for the tabs and waistband. But I got there in the end. In contrast, the jeans buttons were really easy to attach – I used the tool provided in the pack, made a hole in the fabric with an awl (a slim skewer would work just as well) and bashed it a few times with a hammer.


It wasn't the easiest project but I am happy with the end result – I know I’ll wear it a lot all year round, with flats in the summer and tights and boots in winter.

 If you want to make your own Peggy (or the kit would work for a Kelly too) you can buy a kit which includes 2m of dark denim, a pack of 8 silver jeans buttons and a spool of pale grey topstitching thread from Minerva here:

 http://www.minervacrafts.com/es018denim-60-wide-100-cotton-7.5oz-denim-dress-fabric-black-or-indigo-blue.html
 http://www.minervacrafts.com/622251-prym-non-sew-jeans-buttons-silver-matt-laurel-wreath-17mm-8-pieces.html
 http://www.minervacrafts.com/2t308-gutermann-(sewing-thread)-top-stitch-30m-8.html

13 comments:

  1. It turned out great! Glad you got all the topstitching and buttonholes to cooperate in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks brooke. i'll probably do another post about topstitching as i really didn't crack it - it looks a bit messy on the inside!

      Delete
  2. I love the finished skirt! Sewing buttonholes can be a very annoying thing to do. With me old machine, I've gotten so frustrated I simply sewed all of my buttonholes by hand. Needles to say I used zips and snaps a lot! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks hanne. i don't know if it was the thick fabric or what as i don't normally have a problem with buttonholes (and of course the test ones came out fine!)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a tricky one, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your machine troubles - I hate it when that happens. Still, great skirt and I think everyone needs a denim skirt in their wardrobe. I wear mine a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks claire - annoying isn't it? denim skirts are definitely a wardrobe essential!

      Delete
  5. The style of this skirt really suits you! I'm glad you finally got the topstitching to work for you. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks laura - i'm going to blog about the topstitching separately - it's still not great!

      Delete
  6. What a useful skirt, I can see it with thick tights and boots too in winter. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jo - i'll definitely be wearing it in the winter too as it's lovely thick denim.

      Delete
  7. When you are going to the beach, you have to look your best! Slip into this latest, cute and chic beach wrap skirt – styled for the casual, chic, stylish and confident women of today. Presenting beach chic, this skirt is sure to give fashion goals to everyone who sees you on the beach! Go and get one today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!