Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Minerva Blogger Network - The Polkadot Frock




I love polkadots but realised recently I have hardly any polkadot items that are in regular rotation!  When I saw this lovely navy polkadot stretch cotton on the Minerva site, I decided to rectify the situation.

The fabric is a really lovely weight – not too stiff but not especially drapey.  It’s not as smooth as sateen but has a lovely feel to it.  Of course, the stretch makes it really easy to get a good fit and it’s lovely to sew with.



I’ve been meaning to make another Anna dress for ages – no idea why I haven’t got around to it before now!  Probably just distracted by newer, shinier patterns!  The boat neck is my favourite neckline and I love the fit of the bodice and the kimono sleeves.  It’s also super quick to sew with no sleeves to set in..  I wanted to change up the skirt, and while on holiday, I realised that the full skirt from my Mad Men vintage dress pattern is pretty much my perfect skirt style so I used that.

I had already fitted the Anna bodice, lengthening by 2”, doing a ½” FBA and adding a couple of inches to the waist.  I measured the waist, subtracted the seam allowances and adjusted the skirt pattern to ensure that it was the same size so that the side seams would match up.  In a fit of paranoia, I added an extra 2” at the waist which I later ended up removing.

I had added the pockets from the Emery pattern as I really like the way they are joined into the waist seam and so don’t flap around like some side seam pockets can do.  Unfortunately when I had to take out the extra at the waist, I had to remove the pockets to make the skirt sit correctly over the hips.  But I’ll definitely use them against next time.



I must remember next time that the skirt on this pattern Is really long – I took 5” in length off, leaving  2.5” hem and I’m 5’9”.

All the seams are finished with overlocking.

I had planned to do a blind hem by machine.  I spent some time working out how to do it and then decided to sew in by hand using a catch stitch.  The end result is lovely but this is a seriously long hem to sew by hand!

I’m really happy with this dress – I can wear it now with bare legs and later in the year with tights and boots so it’s going to be really useful.

If you want to make a dress like this, the kit from Minerva includes 3m of polkadot stretch cotton and an invisible zip (links to the individual items rather than the kit link while the new website is under construction):







10 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I've made myself several Anna's but I don't have a polka dot version yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sam - i was inspired by your lovely collection of annas!

      Delete
  2. This pattern and fabric really look good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks nessa - i will definitely make some more!

      Delete
  3. Lovely!! I love the fabric, it looks perfect for this dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jenna - it's really lovely fabric!

      Delete
  4. Ah man! I can't wait to get my BHL swag from kickstarter, I need to get my hand on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely polka dot version.Good fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so great on you! Thanks for the tips on the length too as I'm planning to sew this soon & that'll save me some fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really Really nice! i Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!