Tuesday 27 January 2015

Don't look back...



... in anger I heard you say.  

Now that you've got that earworm, let's pretend you are reading this post in early January when I meant to write it rather than the end of January when I actually did.

I was going to write a nice post about top 5 hits and misses and so on, but then I realised - I don't want to look back at 2014 in great detail. It was a crappy year for me personally. My dad was diagnosed with cancer at the end of 2013 and  died in late November. Hence the big blog gap and the lack of interest in reviewing the year.

So I'm looking forward at 2015 instead!

There were some good things about 2014 I am going to bring forward:

Wardrobe architect was great! It really helped me to define and refine my style and colour palette. But I struggled when it came to the final task of creating a capsule wardrobe. I think this is because I don't like the idea of a few mix and match pieces. I'm not someone who buys a couple of great quality investment pieces each season. So I'm enjoying the understanding of colours, prints and silhouettes that I gained without making a specific sewing plan out of it.

I loved Marie from A Stitching Odyssey's vintage sewing pledge (pics of my finished garments are at the top of the page). I managed 4 out of the 5 I pledged and the items I made are in pretty heavy rotation in my wardrobe. It's made me very keen to work with more vintage patterns and I have signed up again for this year to make 5 items. And a few new vintage patterns may have fallen into my Etsy cart!

This year WILL be the year I conquer trousers. The fear I have of fitting them is stupid and if I can make bound buttonholes and welt pockets, I can make trousers! I am starting with the Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers so I can get a steer on fitting without worrying about a fly front, and moving onto Colette Junipers. I also want to give jeans a go, so I have the Iconic Patterns Jess jeans and the Jalie pattern to try.

This year I am going to revisit some of my favourite patterns I have made in the past. I've done all the fitting and muslining work already so I can concentrate on the fun bit of sewing and wearing! In particular the Emery, Mortmain and Anna dresses really lend themselves to pairing with different skirts to make a new look with minimal fitting effort. The bodice from my Christmas dress was pretty awesome too.

I am planning to sew up fabrics from.my stash. This isn't a stash diet, but I have some really lovely fabrics that I want to use before I buy much else. The exception to this will be knits as I really don't have any stashed.

So no specific plans that I won't stick to beyond the next couple of garments.

Hope your new year has started well. Are you planning for 2015 or going with the flow?

21 comments:

  1. Cheers to a new year. I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I can't begin to imagine your loss. I hope that you are able to find comfort in the things you enjoy throughout the course of the year. And, you can ABSOLUTELY sew pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I am starting to get back on an even keel. Christmas time isn't a great time to get to grips with something like that.I am feeling confident about the trousers - of course I can do it!

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading about your sewing. All you bloggers and tweeters inspire me and teach me. I am still learning the basics and dont get as much time as I would like (have to keep feeding teenage boys who are eternally hungry!). My poor Delphine skirt has waited for a waistband since before Christmas!! So my simple aim for 2015 is just to keep trying and to make a bit more time for me & my machine! Good luck with the trousers, and take care of yourself. Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! I am honoured to fell like I have inspired you. That's a great aim for 2015. I find that breaking projects up into small chunks of time works well as I rarely have more than an hour at a time for sewing.

      Delete
  3. So sorry about your dad Joanne, onwards and upwards for 2015 my friend. I like your sewing plan a lot, it's realistic and interesting. And my god, of course you can sew trousers! The Ultimate Trousers are a great starting point. Happy sewing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jane. I will probably be looking for fitting advice once I get to the trousers!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry about your bad year. Mine was not great either but nothing close to yours. I hope 2015 has in store many good things for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks elena. i hope 2015 is better for you too. x

      Delete
  5. So so sorry to hear about your Dad. My condolences to your family. I've been enjoying your Instagram updates on outfits, v inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much vanessa. I wish the Instagram pics were better but the light at 7.30 am in January is non existent!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, it ate half my comment. I was going to add, I have trouser fear! Unless they're part of a jumpsuit. Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff and here's to a happy 2015 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's do trousers together! Maybe we need a push to make us both do it!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, nut I like your approach of looking onwards towards new goals. Good luck with your plans, I also hope to make myself at least one pair of pants this year, I have the Colette Clovers to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh good luck with sewing pants! It sounds like you really have your sewing plans sorted. I have no plan other than to make stuff I can wear to uni as I am finally uniform free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear about your dad Joanne. I think your sewing plans for 2015 sound great. I'd love to try sewing some trousers & that looks like a great pattern to start with. Let me know when you're starting the trousers, maybe I'll sew along!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your dad - that must have made for a shocker of a year! I hope 2015 is a much happier year for you and your family.

    I have one trouser pattern that *I think* fits me pretty well (though what do I know, I'm no fitting expert) but I'm thoroughly sick of it, so this year I want to find some other trouser / shorts options that fit comfortably and without wedgies :). Fit is so tricky - and seems so subjective!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry about your dad! I'm glad you got to spend some time with him and it was so nice to be able to meet up with you briefly in person during your short visit.

    May 2015 be a better year all around! And you are correct, there is nothing to fear about making pants! Fitting might be a little tricky in the beginning, but the actual sewing is super easy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. trousers are so much fun and you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a serious note, I'm so sorry for you dad. lots of love darling xx

      Delete
  14. Hope you're doing well. I like to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!