Thursday 24 September 2015

It's been a while...

Much longer than I intended but I am back trying to catch up with the huge backlog of things I have to share!

First of all I'm going to share my new season sewing plans.

We are in the process (almost there!) of turning our tiny utility room into a sewing space which is so exciting. Previously I sewed on the dining room table (our kitchen is off the dining room so there's no way to shut the door on any mess) with all my bits and pieces and fabric stuffed in a very full cupboard, so it will be great to be able to have them out. I'm sure it will double my productivity if I don't have to spend 30 minutes digging out a piece of interfacing or the right colour of zip! For this reason I haven't done much sewing for the past couple of months. All my stuff is packed away to keep the dust off it. But I have been planning!



I have had a lot of success in the past couple of years following along with the Fall Essentials Sewalong hosted by Sarah at Rhinestones and Telephones. It works well for me to plan my sewing for the season (actually why don't I do it when there's not a sewalong happening?).  So I am working along with that again.

Here's what I am planning:

Fashionable foundations for frosty weather



I wear my Maria Denmark Paula pleat skirt all the time. It's in regular rotation in my wardrobe and so I am planning another 2. I have navy baby cord and wine coloured twill washed and ready to go.



I also want to make a pair of wide legged trousers so I'll be working on the Pauline Alice Sorell trousers. I hope I can nail the fit as these are pretty much my perfect trouser pattern! I have some grey flannel type stuff in the stash for these.

Chic chemises for cool climates

I have had a breton top planned for ages and bought striped jersey in the Guthrie Ghani sale a while back. This will be massively useful in my wardrobe as my last one died last winter. I'll probably use the Renfrew pattern for this but modified to have more of a boat neck.



I am also planning another Jenna cardie  (I know I haven't shown you the previous versions yet. Stay tuned!). This will be in  teal double knit to replace a RTW one which has developed a huge mystery greasy mark on the sleeve which won't wash out.

Fabulous frocks

My cousin is getting married in October in Scotland.  I want to make a dress for it but haven't chosen a pattern yet. I have a few vintage patterns in mind. I'm looking for a red or burgundy fabric possibly polka dot, but until I find the pattern I won't be shopping for it yet.

Underneath it all

Depending on time and how many knit scraps I find when I clear out the fabric pit... er... cupboard I may make vests or knickers but I don't massively need either so they aren't a huge priority.

Tender tootsies

No socks planned. My carpal tunnel is still playing up so knitting isn't really on the cards just now.

Those cosy nights



Probably the most urgent clothing need - pyjama trousers. I have 2 pairs that are falling into holes.  Planning to use the Maria Denmark Laura lounge pants pattern again but I think I'll extend the waist up to make a drawstring closure similar to my preferred RTW ones.  I've never found ribbing of a quality that I like to make as per the pattern. I need to get fabric for these still.

Baby it's cold outside

I don't need a coat as the one i made last year is still great. But a warmish jacket would be good. I have a lust for a cape but not found fabric or pattern for it as yet.  To be honest this may not be finished by the end of the sewalong and I'm not going to stress myself out over getting it done to a deadline!

That's my plans. 8 items plus the cape, 2 sets of repeats and most from  patterns I have made before and regularly wear so not much fitting required. Other than the potential cape, all are from patterns I already own and most of the fabric is from the stash (to be honest I am getting nervous about sorting out my stash and being able to see how much I actually have - more than I think I am sure!)

Really looking forward to getting into a sewing routine again after a couple of months off. And also getting back to blogging again and showing you all what I have been making. It's good to be back!

22 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have your own dedicated sewing place. I bet you can't wait to get cracking. Looking forward to seeing your fabulous creations x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks janene. I really can't wait. I am even excited about clearing out the existing cupboard to get all my stuff in there!

      Delete
  2. Oooh exciting plans, I haven't seen that skirt with the front pleat before, it looks really nice. Good luck with your autumn sewing and nice to see you back! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! It's a really easy comfy skirt to wear and sews up in a couple of hours so it's the perfect make to ease me back in! It's good to be back

      Delete
  3. So excited for you! I can't tell you how much more sewing I can/want to do now everything is set up and easy to tidy. I can't wait to see the new space and creations! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks manilla. Seems to have taken ages so can't believe it is almost done! Hope it looks as good as yours

      Delete
  4. Oooh your own sewing space - that's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay nice to see you back blogging Joanne! I love your sewing plans & may have to sign up for that sewalong to help my sewing plans. Enjoy your new sewing space, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay nice to see you back blogging Joanne! I love your sewing plans & may have to sign up for that sewalong to help my sewing plans. Enjoy your new sewing space, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. Hope the sewalong helps you too!

      Delete
  7. Ooo! Good luck with your new sewing room, and I shall look forward to seeing your Sorrell trousers because I fancy making them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lynne. I think the sorells are the biggest challenge so I hope i get the fitting right and can make 10 pairs!

      Delete
  8. Liking your sewing plans Jo, and yay for a dedicated sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great plans, and yey for your own sewing space. It will feel such a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! Look forward to seeing your backlog and autumn makes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun to be making your own dedicated sewing place! I love your plans for autumn sewing (especially the jacket/cape), and can't wait to see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you have lots of lovely sewing plans, I can't wait to see them stitched up! I'm especially looking forward to seeing what you choose for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Planning a trip to the beach? Make sure you are looking your stylish, svelte best.Put on our stylishly different beach wrap skirt and see how everyone looks at you enviously! This is made to give total comfort, convenience and style. Rest assured you will enjoy your day at the beach in a classy, fun and memorable way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's nothing better than v neck t shirts for men for a gym session

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!