Sunday, 24 June 2012

More Burda, less burden

Completed my second Burda top that I had planned. This one was considerably
simpler than the previous one - they really weren't joking when it was
marked "easy" in the magazine! 2 pattern pieces, 4 seams and a hem. But it
was great as my second foray into the world of knits.

I did have (as ever!) a small disaster with cutting. This is my least
favourite part of sewing - I think I'm just not very good at it and it
seems to hold me back from getting on with the actual sewing. This time, I
didn't lay out both pattern pieces onto the fabric before I started and of
course on cutting the front, hadn't left enough room for the back to be cut
on the bias as it was supposed to be. I got around this but cutting on the
grain (since the back didn't really need to be drapey) and taking about an
inch off the length (it's a long top so this was fine).

Having not properly read the notions before buying the things I needed, I
had totally missed the fact I was supposed to use Vilene stay tape and had
bought normal twill tape. But undeterred I soldiered on and attached using
a wide zig zag stich onto shoulders and back of the neck.

I stitched the shoulder and side seams and realised that as with the
previous burda one, it was miles too big! I ended up taking it in about 4
INCHES in circumference, which must be at least 3 sizes down from my
measured size. In future I'll be taking Gertie's advice about measuring the
pattern and comparing to a similar item that I like the fit of. It was hard
to tissue fit this due to the stiffness of tissue vs the drapiness of the
jersey. But still, why Burda? I have also read about sewing using the high
bust measurement rather than actual bust so that's worth considering too.

Given the taking in I had to do, the top has more of a sleeve than in the
picture as I had to curve the seam under the arm to avoid unpicking the
shoulder seams (lazy me!). But I'm happy with it.

And my first successful attempt at hemming with a double needle! It's not
perfect but I think it's OK. There are a few bits where the edge curled and
it didn't catch and you can't see as you are sewing on the right side - I
think perhaps improving my cutting accuracy would help there.

So that's one item on my summer palette done and blogged!


  1. I completely agree about cutting out the fabric being the worst part of sewing. It often slows my sewing down, cause I really don't like it. I bought the largest cutting mat I could find and now that I use a rotary cutter it make it much easier. And less stress producing. If you don't have one yet, I highly recommend one.

    1. thanks elle. i do have a cutting mat and rotary cutter but i am not that confident in using it yet. i think i need more practice! i'm fine with a ruler and straight lines but go a bit wonky on curves!


Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!