Friday 25 October 2013

Pattern testing - the Paula Pleat Skirt



When Maria Denmark put out a call on Twitter for people to test her new skirt pattern I jumped at the chance! I've made her Kirsten Kimono Tee on no less than 5 occasions and they are in heavy rotation in my wardrobe. I've also got my eye on some others - the Edith shirt dress, Winnie trousers, Audrey knit dress and Laura lounge pants to name a few! I like Maria's simple styles and clear instructions.


The Paula skirt is a simple pleated skirt with a yoke and invisible side zip. I used a teal corduroy that I bought with a Kelly skirt in mind, but it softened up such when I washed it that I don't think it would have held up well to button plackets . Much better for this pattern! 

Even though I was using a test version that didn't have totally finished instructions it was really easy to put together. (Well apart from sewing the pleats wrong first go, but I seem to have a mental block on pleats so sure that was just me!). The pdf was just 12 pages (none of your 77 page pdfs here - I'm looking at you, Zinnia).

It uses an invisible zip which I was worried about inserting across the seam between yoke and skirt but it went in perfectly (the instructions are for invisible but Maria notes you could use lapped or central zippers). Her use of a waistband facing gives a great clean finish to the zip with no hand sewing.


This is a fab wardrobe basic. You could totally make it in a few hours with just over a metre of fabric and a zip. I think it would be a great first project for a beginner as there's virtually no fitting. Pick the size that fits your waist and you are sorted. There's a mid construction fit check to make sure all is OK before you get onto installing the zip.

It's a great addition to my winter wardrobe and another FESA item ticked off the list! 

Uh-oh...

Photobomb!
 The pattern went on sale today if you want to make your own version and Maria is offering 50% off!

8 comments:

  1. Very cute skirt! I do love a fuller skirt/trousers with a yoke. It keeps everything nice and neat where you want it to and then flares where you want it to. I just made a pair of culottes that are high waisted and have a yoke. Keeps everything nice and flat up top. And, Cat bombed!!! Had to happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks catja. Its a great pattern. Very flattering!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I love Maria's patterns. I always feel like I"m in good hands when I use them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gillian. I really liked the pattern and went straight to download the laura lounge pants!

      Delete
  3. It looks great on you and perfect for fall/winter. Teal is an understated fall colour. I have never tried a Maria Denmark pattern, as you say so many patterns so Little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks eitchy - I love teal for winter! It's a lovely cosy skirt

      Delete
  4. Beach fashion finally comes of age in these classic beach maxi skirt! Geared and designed to give the ultimate feeling of fashion, comfort, movement and style. Wear this when you are at the beach – running, playing, lounging around or just enjoying. Moments become memorable when you are dressed well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These mens fleece joggers are perfect casual but stylish option

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!