Monday 14 October 2013

The Sew-Right-Lizzy Renfrew


Weird pushed back hair so you can actually see the cowl

I'm probably the last sewist in the blogiverse to have made a Renfrew, but why did I wait so long?

I bought the pattern after Me Made May and got the fabric in Goldhawk Road in July with Alison (oops, didn't realise it had been that long!).

This was actually my second Renfrew (first is yet to be photographed - stay tuned!) and after mentioning it on Twitter and hearing that I had a nice drapey viscose knit, Lizzy told me i had to make the cowl version.  I wasn't sure and didn't think i had enough fabric but I decided to give it a go (on the basis that I could always replace it with a neckband since the pattern pieces for the body are the same).  I'm so glad I did as I really like it!

I cut a size 10, and it's actually quite long so I didn't need to lengthen it, surprisingly. To fit it on the fabric I had, I took about 3/4" of the top of the cowl and sewed it together with a 1/4" seam allowance, so it's not far off the size of the pattern.  I also used the 3/4 length sleeves (which I like anyway, especially with the cuffs).

I managed to sew up 2 of these in one weekend so it's a nice quick and gratifying make - will definitely be making more!

Look up there! Honestly it's not another pic of a black t-shirt!


And I owe it all to you Lizzy - you were right! Thanks for the encouragement to make something I usually wouldn't consider!

Am doing pretty well on my FESA list (not so much on keeping up the blogging of it but i'll get there soon!).  Another Renfrew, my bowling dress and a skirt to come soon!

9 comments:

  1. oh no, not the last, that will be me! I really love the Renfrew, particularly the cowl version. I have started my FESA list also, thanks to your encouragement. Not blogged a thing yet, much prefer reading others blogs to writing my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm terrible for reading blogs when i should be writing or sewing! have got better since i got a smartphone so i can read on my commute. look forward to seeing your list - so glad to have encouraged/ enabled your sewing!

      Delete
  2. I love the Renfrew. It is so quick and rewarding. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks laura! hubby couldn't believe i was wearing something on monday that has been a pile of fabric on sunday morning!

      Delete
  3. You're not the last! I too have this pattern waiting to be made into something beautiful!
    This is gorge, your version might just give me the push I need to make this happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do it! i bvet you have something fab in the stash you can use! and once you've traced the pattern i reckon you could make it up in a couple of hours - instant new top!

      Delete
  4. Love it! I have not made the Renfrew yet either (shhhhhh).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!