But I think this dress will hopefully cover me for both.
Despite having terrible reviews from most bloggers, I actually quite like April's Burda -- it's the first one I've bought for ages!
In addition to the cover dress - vaguely Laurel-esque? Ok without the huge sew-on gemstones. I have plans for this pattern, hopefully you'll be seeing it soon, acceptable muslin permitting! - I liked this pattern:
|Source: BurdaStyle (who make it very difficult to link directly!)|
I wasn't so keen on the shiny fabric but thought it could make a good basic knit dress for holiday and at home. I had some nice navy viscose knit fabric from World Fabrics (their website isn't great, but good prices, speedy delivery and the quality seems good from what I have seen so far!).
In terms of pattern modifcations, no way was I doing welt pockets in a simple knit dress so I left them out. The pattern includes a belt but I don't love self fabric belts for this sort of dress and thought I'd be more likely to style it with a leather belt as per the picture.
The pattern was nice and long so no length adjustments needed. I did take it in at the sides slightly to give it a bit more of a waist and make it more fitted around the bust. This was really due to my fabric choice rather than the pattern as the original size would have made it too bunchy around the waist to wear with a belt. My only annoyance was that I didn't follow my sewing spidey sense and ditch the fiddly little neckband pieces. I wasn't clear how much seam allowance to add and it was hard to attach them over the top of the pleats at the front neckline, meaning a bit of unpicking. But again could have been due to my fabric choice being thicker than theirs. I should have gone with my idea of cutting a wide bias strip (or I guess i could have just cut a straight grain piece since I was using stretch fabric!), which would have been much easier. Still, live and learn!