Friday 28 February 2014

More Unselfish Sewing - the Junebug dress


I don't know what's got into me!  Not only did hubby get a jacket, but I also made N a dress!

This is the Junebug dress from Craftiness is Not Optional, which I got as part of the Sew Fab bundle a while back.

N chose this fabric, which is Love & Joy Birds in pink by Free Spirit.  We found it in the sale in John Lewis, and she was determined to have the pink, despite my efforts to steer her towards the turquoise.  I did have my way on the contrasting buttons, which are from Ditto in Brighton.



On measuring I found she was the right size for a 4T, which seemed odd - clearly she is just tall and skinny!  I made a 5 (she normally takes 6-7 in RTW) but with the 6 length.

This pattern was really easy to put together with a simple lined bodice and gathered skirt.  The waistline is quite high and together with the puffed sleeves I think this is definitely a dress for a younger girl.  I'm not sure I'd make it for her in a bigger size.



The skirt is quite a bit shorter than planned, as when i went to sew the hem, I noticed I had nicked the skirt about 2" down from the waist with the overlocker knife and so had to cut the top part off - oops!  So it has a fairly narrow hem.  But it's all good - she often wears dresses with leggings, and it's necessary in this horrible weather we've been having.  It also looks better without the t-shirt but again this was a necessity for the weather!  My fault for making summer dresses in the winter!


12 comments:

  1. What a lovely dress, N is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! This is lovely, and she looks delighted with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute dress, and it looks great with the leggings/tshirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks maeve! she will hopefully get wear out of it in the summer without the tshirt too!

      Delete
  4. You are on an unselfish roll! N is so cute and looks so happy in her new dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty and N looks overjoyed with her new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous dress and a beautiful girl to wear it! I really love the style, I'd love to make this for my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks louise. it is really cute and fairly easy to make. the lined bodice is lovely!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!