Friday 7 February 2014

Wardrobe Architect Week 4 - Silhouettes



I had a lot of fun with this one!  I put together the above collages really quickly as I had already spent time thinking about my preferred shapes and had gathered quite a lot of inspiration on my Happy Wardrobe Pinterest board.

All of this thinking since starting Happy Wardrobe led me to the realisation that I really do love to wear dresses of all kinds.  There's a place in my wardrobe for casual knit dresses, long and short sleeved woven dresses and shirt dresses.  What they all have in common is a fitted bodice and a flared skirt.  I like the same overall shape when it comes to skirts - a fitted top and flared skirt (also a-line shapes).

For trousers, I am giving up the skinnies!  I feel much more comfortable in wide leg or bootcut/ flared trousers, again with a fitted top.  I do love slim cropped trousers in the summer though.

I love boat necks and peter pan collars, but I also wear scoop necks and v necks.  Slim fitting cardigans are an important part of my wardrobe - I have so many cardigans that I have a filing system for them!  Once my carpal tunnel improves I need to get knitting the Miette I have planned in my head.

The clothes that get the most wear in our generally fairly rainy and grey climate are ones that can be worn or without tights (and tights save on the fake tan for my pasty pins!), so unless it's a very summery item, i often steer clear of the lightest colours.

And definitely no heels!  I have heels but rarely wear them unless it's to a formal event.  I'm tall so don't need the extra height, and frankly can't be bothered.  They don't do well with my walking pace or lifestyle.  Flat boots, brogues, ballet pumps or flat sandals it is! (and based on the collages above I need a pair of red ballet flats - you can never have too many pairs of red shoes).

How did you find this week's exercise?  Was it easy or hard to distill your style into a few silhouettes?

13 comments:

  1. Oh my! I've been reading all your posts on the Wardrobe Architect, you're on top of things. I think I need to just jump right in! I enjoy these posts because it you're slowly figuring out your style and at the same time it makes me think about mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kathy! it's been really helpful actually. glad to hear it is helping you too!

      Delete
    2. Joanne, I nominated you for the Liebster Award! :) The info is on my blog post. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your collages! The outfits are so lovely! You can really see a strong theme through them. It feels like you've already defined your style pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks helen! having throught about this previously defintiely helped with this task!

      Delete
  3. You've got some great looks up here! I just finished writing up my post (though it's scheduled for Wednesday, as I didn't want to do two posts in one day), and I really enjoyed this particular exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was good fun! look forward to seeing your post on weds!

      Delete
  4. Nice silhouettes! I think I like the same kind of silhouettes for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! We have the same aesthetic when it comes to dress. Nothing like a fitted bodice and full skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sarah - it's a really flattering look i think!

      Delete
  6. I think these silhouettes definitely portray your style. This is very helpful for sewbossy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!