Monday 3 February 2014

Wardrobe Architect - Week 3






Onto week 3!  This week the task focuses on specific shapes and styles in dresses, skirts, trousers, tops, jackets, cardigans and outerwear.  We also have to think about neckline and sleeve styles we like.

I found this fairly quick and easy to do as I had been thinking about it already for my Happy Wardrobe project.

In terms of ease, I like fitted tops and looser trousers.  I'm not keen on loose fitting dresses as I think they make me look bigger overall.

For length, I like maxi or knee length skirts and dresses.  As I am tall, I tend to like tops that sit on my hips - I'm not a big fan of tunics (they can look like too-short dresses) and cropped styles make me look like a giant wearing too small clothes!

I like full-ish skirts.  A full circle can make me feel a bit dressed up for everyday, but dirndl/ gathered are good.  A-line is also very much my comfort zone.  I feel less happy in straight skirts (altho my Hummingbirds have seen a lot of wear!) and I don't normally wear pencil skirts.

A big reason that I sew is that I never get waistlines at the right level in RTW.  I have a high waist but as I'm tall, I rarely find things that actually fit on my waist (including a beautiful vintage 1950s silk dress i tried on the other day - sob!  Must find fabric and make my own version!) and I spend the day pulling dresses and tops down to my waistline and hoiking jeans/ trousers up!  I generally go for natural waistline for dresses (never empire line) and slightly lower for trousers and skirts.  I do like a high waist too - I wear my Kelly skirts a lot (wearing one now in fact!) and it's a flattering look I think.  I really don't like things with no waistline - it definitely makes me look bigger as I have a large frame.

I'm less fussy about necklines and sleeves.

I can live with most necklines with a preference for boatneck, sweetheart and scoop.  I don't tend to wear very low necklines and jewel necks can be a bit choking.

I am happy with most lengths of sleeve, other than above the elbow.  I find this uncomfortable to wear and not especially flattering!

Looking forward to week 4!




8 comments:

  1. I'm like you, I need to wear things with at least some sort of waist definition, otherwise I look completely shapeless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so important to realise this isn't it? much as i want to like tunic tops with skinny jeans or leggings, i just don't suit them or feel good in them!

      Delete
  2. Me too! I need need need a waist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this was a fairly easy task. But we have worn clothes all our lives, so it's easy to know what you feel comfortable in.

    I also need waist definition, since I have a large chest. Also, I have never thought of you as tall, it's amazing how photos can trick us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? i'm 5'9" (i guess you do cms so it's 175cms). i like easy tasks - it was a bit less soul searching wasn't it?

      Delete
  4. I'm nearly 5' 9" and I'm with you on RTW waists. I'm v high waisted and so all leg. Thanks be for sewing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes indeedy! there are a lot of tall sewists around!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment - it's great to hear from you!